Whether you are looking for your next career move, struggling with a problem or finding the creativity that comes from connections, here are 10 steps to no-fail networking. A colleague in my network passed it along to me and am passing it forward to you.
1. Stay in touch. Make an effort to connect with the people in your life, past and present.
2. Be social. Strike up a conversation, ask questions.
3. Learn to listen. Ask yourself, why am I talking?
4. Practice presenting your skills and interest with confidence.
5. Join a networking group. It works.
6. Be a network broker. Connect people with others in your network.
7. Extend professional relationships into personal ones. Highly engaged employees work with friends.
8. Volunteer in your community. Pick something that interests you.
9. Write a thank you note to someone who has inspired you.
10. Throw a party. Invite people who do not know each other.