Do you know where you are going? If you don’t know where you are going, any road will take you there. The first step to getting anywhere is to decide where you want to go. This may sound simple, but takes more than a little thought – it takes a little planning and goal setting. Heidi Grant Halvorson, Ph.D. lays out some steps in her new book, “Succeed – How We Can Reach Our Goals.” She lays out the process, potential obstacles and reward for reaching your goals. Here’s a summary:
1. Be specific: Knowing exactly what you want to achieve keeps you motivated to get there.
2. Make it hard: Challenge yourself to set a high bar, but realistic.
3. Think why or what: Why are you doing this? What are you actually doing?
4. Consider value and feasibility: The best goals are usually the ones you own after weighting both desirability and feasibility in an unbiased way.
5. Think positive: Believe in your ability to achieve your goals, but don’t underestimate how difficult it will be.
6. Use mental contrasting: Think about the result when you achieve the goals, and be alert to the obstacles you will need to overcome.
Halvorson’s offers counterintuitive insights, illuminating stories, and science-based information that can help you improve — a must read for anyone ready to achieve their goals.